Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sweeney Todd

Who knew Johnny Depp had such a wonderful singing voice! Honestly, now? I thought he was going to be gravely. But he really shocked me when he made such smooth transitions into the concertos. Wonderful visualizations brought to us straight from Tim Burton's German Expressionism roots and Edward Gory start-up. Got to love the Kid, too. I did miss a few of the cut songs that I was looking forward to, but it was a long movie that kept it's pace well without them. And the imaging was beautiful. Not awfully gory for using so much blood and bone crunching. So beautifully dirty, like looking at a charcoal sketch. Helana Cater's part was so passionate and willing, so methodical. She wasn't mad at all, just needed to survive... beautiful in her care for Toby, and vice versa.
I wish I could remember more, but it's been a few weeks since I've seen it. I just remember loving it and thinking, "wow, he can sing!"

No comments: